Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Of Apologies, New & Favorite Things and Lens Flopping

First, let me apologize profusely for having not update since... December???
Allow me to give a decent excuse:





Yeah, that's what my planner looked like for January-March. I'm thankful that April (so far) is not nearly so crowded!

Secondly, I have a new design on the blog. What do you all think?



Two weeks ago I shot a wedding in Baton Rouge, LA with Megan Decoteau of MRae | Photography. It was a long day but we had so much fun and I loved the shots that I got.


Here's a few of my favorites:


Julia's dress was absolutely beautiful and the tenth floor of the Hilton was perfect!








I am in love with:

This shot
Julia's shoes
Window light
The 50mm and I am convinced more than ever that I now need one!





Something else I'm in love with.... ;-)

The above macro shot was done with the Lens Flipping technique, or more affectionately known as 'Flopping' (as coined by the great IPS instructor, John McPherson of JM|Imagery).
The Lens 'Flopping' technique is an awesomely simple (and inexpensive) way of getting macro (up-close) shots, especially helpful in getting those detail shots for weddings. Or any other miniature subjects.
All you have to do is take a lens such as a 50mm (I use my kit 18-55mm), flip (or flop) it around backwards and hold it tight up against the lens mount. To focus, simply move your camera (and lens) back and forth. True manual focus, right there!
As a side note, if the lens you are using has a aperture lever (such as the 18-55mm), you'll want to hold that open for more light.

So, I challenge you to try it! Upload your own Lens Flopping shots and post the link here!

3 comments:

  1. umm love. your design is beautiful. your gorgeous header picture reminds me of all my pear blossom pictures I took a long while back that I love, but never had time to go all the way through them and post some... sad day. :( will have to do sometime soon!

    and umm, Janelle? you do waaaay better on lens flopping then I ever have. that picture is beautiful. I wish I knew how to do it better...

    I always love your pictures...and wish we could get together and shoot one day. too bad our states are sooo far away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pss: I love your design even MORE! the font is adorable. :) this is way fun! go you! you're inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, you're sweet dear. =)
    I lovvvve macro. It's so way fun.

    ReplyDelete